Wednesday, January 27, 2010

first class

My first day of class was wonderful! I got to see some old friends and make some new ones. Of course, I was the teacher's pet that stayed late on the first day just because I HAD TO GET STUFF DONE!!! If only the class was twice as long... But I am challenging myself this semester to take my time with projects to make sure my craft is impeccable AND that if I try something and it doesn't work initially, to start over again to get it exactly the way I want it instead of forcing my project through to completion just so I can get as many pieces done as possible throughout the semester. Pretty good goals, huh?!

So here's where I am at on my first project:I rolled out some thick sheet metal to 19 gauge and punched out 2 13mm circles. I hammered one circle and left the other smooth. Then I created two bezel rings, sanded them down to the appropriate height for the stone and soldered them to the circles. I finished with drilling top holes for the bails. Of course my desire to rush home and set the stones without polishing the pieces (so I could wear them that very instant!) was hard to resist, but I am holding out until my next class to polish the pieces and set the stones. I decided I want a high polish to these pendants rather than leaving them a satin finish so I am trying to be patient and complete them perfectly. I'll post pictures next week when I am done!

No comments:

Post a Comment