Thursday, January 14, 2010

unexpected

I have been making my watch necklaces for some time now and accumulated all of these unused watch cases. I finally had the idea to turn them into lockets! The cases looked so sad left unfilled, but I didn't want to fill them with decorative items myself; I wanted to leave it up to the owner. Instead I made little handwritten notes sealed with wax, that lets the owner know that it should be used for their most treasured possessions... ...and just in case there isn't somethng to fill the locket quite yet, I added an old vintage photo that can easily be removed...
I have always been a lover of lockets. I love the idea of carrying around with you items that signify something really important to you. There is just something special about an object that triggers a memory for the owner that is a mystery to an outside observer... a scrap of fabric from your favorite dress, a dried rose petal from the first flower you received from a boy, a folded note with words no one else will ever see... a little piece of happiness. There is just something so utterly romantic about lockets!

No comments:

Post a Comment