Thursday, February 11, 2010

snow day movie marathon

So today is day two of being snowed in at home. The movie marathon continues... here are a few highlights:
BUFFY the VAMPIRE SLAYER Season 4: I know, I know... judge me if you will! Let's get it all out there... I love things about vampires, I love the new Twilight series, I love the new Sookie series... but in my defense this isn't a recent development because of the current vampire trend (but believe me I love that vampires are everywhere right now!). I fell in love with Dracula when I was in 5th grade, so much so, I chose Carmilla as my name for Spanish class because she was the first female vampire in literature, and the fascination has never subsided. Ok, now that that's all cleared up... I loved Buffy when it originally aired and decided to rewatch the series recently. I am hopelessly addicted once again. I forgot many things about this show but I vividly remembered the Gentlemen from the episode "Hush"! Deformed men with sadistic smiles floating around and applauding one another as they rip out people's hearts... CREEPY!
THE NEW WORLD: I love this movie, although I didn't at first. It took many viewings before this movie crept into me, and now I see it as cinematic poetry. Q'orianka Kilcher is mesmerizing and breathtaking. Her ability to portray the emotions of this character is indescribable. I happened to catch this on TV last night and meant to only watch it until another show came on and I simply could not turn it off. I love this movie more every time I watch it.
THE VILLAGE: This is my favorite M. Night movie. I know the ending seems cliche now but I still love the movie overall. My favorite part is this scene when Lucius grabs Ivy's hand... it makes my heart stop every time.
PERSUASION: As you know, this is my favorite Jane Austen novel. I love the movie version with Ciaran Hinds as Captain Wentworth... and I blame this movie for the little crush I have formed for Mr. Hinds, much to the aghast of some of my friends. (I think him as Edward Rochester in Jane Eyre might have helped with this as well!) SECRETARY: This movie is the reason I fell in love with Maggie Gyllenhaal. It is an extremely unconventional love story, but that makes it even more powerful.

Well it's only noon so who knows what other screenings are in store. In the midst of all of this, I am also enjoying the book Shutter Island and hope to finish it before the movie opens next week. I hope all of you out there are finding ways to enjoy your snow day(s) as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment