Thursday, March 11, 2010

the lost girls

I have yet to see the new Alice in Wonderland film (directed by one of my faves, Tim Burton) and I cannot wait to see this lovely piece of eye candy! Seeing the advertisements of the new Alice makes me want to don ice blue and color my hair back to blonde. But my love of this story follows along with my love of other children-lost-in-a-fantastical-world stories, like The Oz books. And, as an adult, I love the dark interpretations people are taking with these beloved stories.
Who remembers this movie?! Return to Oz, comprised of the 2nd and 3rd Oz books written by Baum, The Marvelous Land of Oz and Ozma of Oz (my personal favorite!), takes a darker twist than the more familiar Wizard of Oz musical. Electro-shock therapy, the wheelers, Mombi, oh my! A cinematic gem that has been, for a long time, underrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment